Sourced content from: https://www.homedit.com/outdoor-wall-fountains/
When you’re committed to creating a beautiful outdoor setup, a fountain is definitely an element that can impress, draw attention, and create a focal point that brings relaxation and aesthetic value to your yard.
However, with the different existing types of fountains, one could easily get lost in the variety of available styles and materials. We’ve put together this comprehensive guide on what you need to know before choosing an outdoor fountain, but also take a look into the most beautiful wall outdoor fountains currently found on the market.
Customer’s Choice: Bloomsbury Market Metal Mirror Waterfall Fountain
“This fountain is awesome and we are thinking about purchasing a second one.” (Customer review)
Best for Indoor/Outdoor Use: World Menagerie Natural Stone Table/Wall Fountain
Thanks to its superb design and relaxing water cascade, this World Menagerie wall fountain is suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
Budget Pick: Stefield Resin Lion Head Wall Fountain
“Easy to set up, took me about 3 minutes total, and I am extremely happy with it! It has given my porch the finishing touch it needed!” (Customer review)
How to Choose an Outdoor Fountain
There are a few things that you have to know before choosing any type of outdoor water fountain, so here is a more comprehensive list of features that you need to look into before spending your money:
- First of all, you need to consider how much available space you have for placing a fountain. Small gardens and yards could surely benefit from wall fountains because they tend to occupy less space. If you choose a large fountain when having a small space to work with will make your outdoor space look cramped.
- There are many different types of available outdoor fountains to choose from, and we’ve covered all of them in our section dedicated to “Types of Outdoor Fountains”. Check them out and determine which type is most suitable for you.
- Read our section on “Outdoor Fountain Materials” so you can see what fountains are usually made from and pick a material that matches your needs, but also one that can resist in your specific climate.
- Ease of maintenance should also play a major role in determining what type of fountain is best for you. Fountains require frequent cleaning (at least once a month) and materials that are not frost resistant require covering before the first frost.
Types of Outdoor Fountains
There are typically seven different types of outdoor water fountains, so let’s take a look at the main characteristics for each of them:
These are easy to install and pretty affordable. They function by using their own reservoir and have separate plumbing. They are commonly seen on patios, decks, and garden sides, but you could literally place them anywhere. They are generally made from fiberglass, ceramic, and stone.
They have a dramatic feel to them because they spray water up into the air. You can virtually turn any pond into a spouting fountain because all you really need is a submersible pump.
These can be integrated into an existing wall and they are the perfect option for people who have small backyards. A wall fountain requires internal tubing, a pump, a water basin, and a spout to function. There are freestanding and wall-mounted fountains pertaining to this category.
They literally have tiers constructed by using basins placed on top of each other. The distance between the basins will determine the volume of the water sounds the fountain makes.
Have multiple levels that allow water to flow down from one level to the next. It’s a term often used to describe fountains with rocks or stone that create sort of a slope. The top part of the fountain is also where the water flows from, creating a relaxing setting.
These are rich in spiritual significance and usually contain bamboo in their construction. Other elements that are characteristic to Japanese fountains include evergreen plants and rocks.
Pretty modern and are characterized by the water basin being concealed underground. Since the water source is hidden, it’s less likely to host algae, so it’s easier to care for.
Outdoor Fountain Materials
There are a lot of materials that can be used to construct an outdoor fountain, and knowing about each of them will help you make a more informed shopping decision:
- Ceramic fountains are smaller compared to most other types of fountains, so they make really proper patio and deck choices. However, they are not very resistant in freezing temperatures, so you will have to find a way to bring them inside if you live in an area with such temperatures. Otherwise, ceramic is very prone to cracking.
- Glass fountains are considered to be amongst the most elegant ones out there. However, they are not that suitable for outdoor use because they tend to crack pretty fast.
- Acrylic fountains can resemble glass fountains quite a lot, but are a little more durable. However, their color tends to become yellow-ish over time, and they brittle when left outside in the sun for more than one year.
- Fountains made from molded resin can be blown away in powerful wind conditions because they are pretty lightweight, and they also tend to brittle in time.
- Cast stone fountains tend to resemble real stone, and they are quite heavy. They can be quite difficult to clean because of their porous nature. Their delicate nature makes them a less desirable choice for those who experience freezing temperatures in their area.
- Limestone fountains have been around for ages because of the material’s availability and the ease of carving. Marble fountains are known for their variety of existing colors and are often chosen for their unmatched beauty. We’ve put limestone and marble together because they are porous and delicate stones, so they will need frequent maintenance with special products that won’t eat the surface away. They are not durable in freezing temperatures.
- Granite is a pretty long-lasting choice and fountains made from this material can easily be carved into just about any design. They are pretty easy to care for because they are resistant to chemical attacks.
- Bronze fountains are chosen because of their shine and elegance, and they have a specific color that tends to complement a lot of different outdoor setups.
- Basalt fountains are considered to be a more rustic choice, and are often chosen in wooded areas because the water reserve is concealed in a pondless basin hidden under the fountain, in the ground.
The Best Outdoor Wall Fountains
Perfect for your garden wall, we have this resin fountain with elegant elements and construction that seems to be pretty resistant. It has a scratch-resistant surface and durable paint that won’t easily chip away. This tiered fountain measures 34.63” H x 19.5” W x 9.44” D and comes in a plum bronze finish that easily matches a variety of existing outdoor setups. It has a pump designed with quality materials focused on performance. The integrated LED lights create beautiful visual effects at night, while the light switch allows you to separately control the pump and the light.
- Integrated LED lights.
- Individual switch for lights and pump.
- Quality pump.
- Water stains the finish in time.
Measuring 37” H x 10” W x 8.5” D, this wall fountain is designed with a cascading surface that creates a beautiful visual effect. It is designed with dynamic LED lights and constructed with an industry-leading motor to offer optimal performance. It’s made from natural stone and has a black finish that promises to withstand chipping and fading. There is a door that grants access to the pump for easier maintenance.
- Dynamic LED lighting.
- Dual waterproof cords.
- Flow rate control.
- Very loud pump.
Made from polyresin and stone powder, this two-gallon water fountain is here to give off those ancient Greek vibes and make it seem like you’re invested a lot of money and put a lot of thought into what you want your yard to look like. It measures 27” H x 17” W x 10” D and has a lightweight construction that makes it fairly easy to mount the fountain even without an extra helping hand. It has a submersible electrical pump and requires a power outlet to function.
- Great for small yards.
- Easy to install.
- Adjustable flow rate.
- Cord is pretty short.
A little more expensive than the others, this stainless steel fountain is designed for indoor and outdoor use, featuring reflecting mirrors and a beautiful bronze frame that all adds up to a beautiful modern look. This wall fountain measures 72” H x 24” W x 10” D and comes with a halogen light that projects on the waterfall, highlighting the ripple effect under a soft beam of light. It has a water capacity of 6.6 gallons and the water falls on a bed of rocks.
- Beautiful modern design.
- Slim profile.
- Easy to install.
- Complaints about delivery.
Another beautiful fountain made from natural stone is this model made by Milwood Pines. It has a water capacity of 0.5 gallons and measures 25.25” H x 11.5” W x 4.75” D. It can be mounted on the wall but has a design that also permits usage as a tabletop fountain. The slate facade has a natural beauty, being complimented by a black-finished frame that matches a variety of styles and ecors. The accent lights are hidden behind the upper portion of the frame.
- Can serve as a tabletop fountain.
- Equipped with accent light.
- Adjustable low rate.
- Very loud motor.
If you like lion head wall fountains but want a narrow model to fit onto a smaller wall portion, check out this 35” H x 16” W x 10” D fountain by World Menagerie. It’s made from painted resin and has a water capacity of 1.3 gallons. It is equipped with LED lights that are activated separately through a switch, not impacting the use of the pump. The pump feels qualitative and the manufacturer promises it’s made with industry-leading components.
- Scratch-resistant surface.
- Equipped with LED lights.
- Separate switch for lights.
- Questionable long-term durability.
This table/wall fountain is a super piece that can be used indoors and outside, offering you a beautiful cascade view to delight your senses with. It’s made from natural stone, so it might not last outside during freezing winter temperatures unless you protect it with a cover. It comes with energy-efficient LED lights and a light switch that grants separate control over the lights and the pump. It has a water capacity of 0.5 gallon and measures 25” H x 11.5” W x 5” D overall.
- Beautiful outdoor/indoor design.
- Equipped with LED lights.
- Separate switch for lights and pump activation.
- Wall-mounting hardware could be better.
If you want a more ancient-looking wall fountain with a striking design that makes it suitable for your stone wall, this is probably one of the best products to look into. The water comes from the stone lion’s head, providing a soothing water-pouring sound that’s perfect for outdoor relaxation. It measures 18.1” H x 22.1” W x 8.3” D and comes with an electrical cord of 196”. It’s made from polyresin and has an elegant charcoal finish. It comes together with a pump and LED lights to illuminate the fountain at night.
- Integrated LED lights.
- Stunning lion head design.
- Weather-proof construction.
- Hooks on the back could be straighter.
We’re getting close to the end of our list, so we wanted to add another polystone with stone powder wall fountain that has an antique vibe to it. It measures 26” H x 14” W x 8” D and comes with a spigot that pours water on the structure’s first tier, which then splits it up into three equal streams of water. Since it weighs only 10 pounds, it’s pretty easy to maneuver all by yourself, so you most likely will be able to install this without the need for additional help.
- Lightweight construction.
- Flow rate control.
- Weather-resistant construction.
- Tends to splash.
Made from resin, this 32.1” H x 18.3” W x 9.7” D wall fountain has a three-tier design and offers a natural look to your yard. The fountain is designed with LED lights that will illuminate this piece and turn it into a focal point both during the day, as well as during the night. The lion head adds a touch of elegance to the entire construction.
- Comes with built-in LED lights.
- Comes with all parts included.
- Weather-proof construction.
- Quite loud.
How much does it cost to build a outdoor water fountain?
There are plenty of factors that will determine what is the end price for building your own outdoor water fountain. The price can be anything between $175 and $10,000, but the average range is about $1,250 to $3,750. Just to be safe, you should have around $2,500 if you plan on building an outdoor water fountain.
Do outdoor fountains need electricity?
There are plenty of different power sources that one can expect to find in the construction of an outdoor fountain. Hardwired fountains are pretty popular, and this is a category that requires an electrical power source to work. Solar-powered outdoor fountains do not require electricity because they use the sun to draw the energy needed to function.
What is the best material for outdoor fountains?
It really depends on the climate in the specific area you live in. Those of you that live in harsh climates need to choose durable materials, such as bronze or granite. Granite fountains are often considered to be the best choice. If you live in warmer climates, you can pretty much choose any type of water fountain you like.
How do I keep my outdoor fountain algae free?
If you don’t have any fish or other living creatures in your fountain, you can create a mixture of nine parts water and one part bleach and put it in your fountain to prevent algae. However, bleach can be toxic to kids, so you might want to opt for a solution that mixes water and white vinegar.
The Final Verdict
As you can see, there are a lot of different options to choose from when it comes to buying an outdoor wall fountain, so it all comes down to what your personal preferences are. These types of fountains are great for small yards, but there are a lot of models that could easily be mounted inside, provided they match your interior decor.