Sourced content from: https://www.homedit.com/best-epoxy-wood-fillers/
The best epoxy wood fillers provide a long-lasting hold, fill in voids and cracks, and withstand temperature fluctuations and moisture.
Epoxy is an adhesive that bonds to wood. It dries to a hard finish that you can sand and paint. Rather than liquid epoxy resin you may be familiar with, most epoxy wood filler is a putty that comes with a hardener you mix in before use. The putty allows you to shape the filler, making wood repairs a breeze.
Best Epoxy Wood Fillers
- Top Choice: 3M Bondo Wood Filler
- Best Epoxy Putty: J-B Weld Wood Restore
- Best Exterior: Abatron WoodEpox Kit
- Best Liquid Epoxy Wood Filler: Abatron Liquid Wood
- Best for Small Repairs: J-B Weld KwikWood Epoxy
Best Epoxy Wood Filler Reviews
For filling in small holes or gouges in interior projects, use regular wood filler. But if you need to fill a large void, need a weather-resistant product, or require moisture resistance, epoxy wood filler is the way to go. We’ve reviewed over a dozen of the best epoxy wood fillers, finding five of the best products depending on your needs.
Top Choice: 3M Bondo Wood Filler
3M Bondo Wood Filler is one of the most popular wood epoxies, especially for furniture repair. Before applying, mix the recommended amounts of the wood filler with the cream hardener. When combined, this product turns to a medium brown, blending well with medium-toned wood.
3M Bondo Wood Filler dries in as little as 15 minutes and is sandable, paintable, and stainable. It’s moisture-resistant, non-shrink, and can withstand temperature fluctuations making it a good choice for interior and exterior wood repairs.
Bondo Wood Filler has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from more than 2,300 users. Most users claim it’s a great product and works on everything from fences to guitars. Some negative comments indicate the product has a strong odor and doesn’t accept stains well.
- It dries medium brown, making it a good choice to blend in with wood
- Stainable after only 15 minutes, also stainable and paintable
- Chemically bonds to wood, making it a good choice for filling in holes or repairing rot
- Many complaints that it doesn’t accept water-based stain
- Fast dry time means you need to work quickly
Best Epoxy Putty: J-B Weld Wood Restore
J-B Weld Wood Restore is an easy-to-use epoxy putty. It comes in two parts that you mix at a 1:1 ratio before applying. You can use this product to fill in holes and cracks and repair or rebuild wood. It contains no solvents, so it won’t shrink as it dries. And because it’s a putty, it’s easy to hand mix.
After 60 minutes, this wood filler epoxy putty is ready to be sanded, filed, and painted. It’s moisture and temperature resistant, so you can use it for interior and exterior projects. If you’re new to using epoxy wood filler, the play-dough-like consistency is easy to work with.
J-B Weld Wood Restore is rated 4.5 out of 5 stars by more than 600 reviewers. Top reviewers state it works as expected and appreciate the longer dry time. Most negative reviews complain about the price.
- Putty texture makes this epoxy wood filler easy to work with
- Sandable and paintable after 60 minutes
- Easy 1:1 mix ratio and ideal for interior and exterior projects
- Expensive for the amount you get
Best Exterior: Abatron WoodEpox Kit
Abatron WoodEpox Kit is a high-strength epoxy filler suitable for exterior use. It comes in two parts that you mix before application. After mixing, it has a 20-30 minute pot life, giving you ample time to form it before it begins to dry. It’s also “GreenGuard” certified, meaning it contains almost no VOCs.
Use this product to repair rot, fill holes, and rebuild wood. It won’t shrink and can withstand moisture and extreme temperature fluctuations. After the product cures, use it like natural wood – you can sand, file, paint, stain, and even drill into it.
The Abatron WoodEpox kit has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from over 700 users. Many reviewers claim it’s the best wood epoxy filler on the market. A few negative reviewers complain of the fluffy consistency, claiming it makes it hard to use.
- Users can sand, paint, stain, and drill into the product once cured
- 20-30 minute work time, so you don’t have to worry about it drying while in use
- It contains almost no VOCs, making it suitable for interior and exterior work
- Some users find the fluffy putty consistency hard to work with
Best Liquid Epoxy Wood Filler: Abatron Liquid Wood
Liquid epoxy wood filler is ideal for hardening existing wood or filling in cracks. (If you need to fill in large holes, opt for putty or compound.) Abatron Liquid Wood comes in two parts that you mix before application. You can then use a small paint brush, squeeze bottle, or pour the product onto the wood you need to harden or fill. Apply multiple coats until you reach the desired effect.
The filler has a 30-45 minute work time and dries within a few hours. It contains almost no VOCs, so you can use it indoors or outdoors. Once hardened, you can sand, paint, or drill into the areas you’ve filled.
Abatron Liquid Wood has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from almost 400 users. Most reviewers believe the product is excellent for repairing dry rot and spongy window sills and columns. However, some users had a significantly longer dry time than advertised.
- Liquid wood epoxy is ideal for hardening wood and filling in small cracks
- Low VOC makes it suitable for indoor and outdoor projects
- You can sand, paint, file, and drill after the product cures
- The runny liquid formula requires careful application
- Some users reported issues with long dry times
Best for Small Repairs: J-B Weld KwikWood Epoxy
For minor wood repairs, consider J-B Weld KwikWood Epoxy. It comes in a two-part stick that you can hand mix. It has a 15-25 minute set time and cures within one hour. The product dries light tan, making it suitable for light-colored wooden surfaces.
Once cured, you can sand, file, or paint this epoxy putty. You can use it to fill in gouges, cracks, insect damage and strengthen wood affected by rot. It cures to a hard surface and won’t shrink, making it ideal for interior and exterior repairs.
J-B Weld KwikWood Epoxy has a 4.5 out of 5-star rating from over 6,600 reviewers. Users love that the product is easy to use, but the repeated negative comments claim that it sets too fast.
- Comes in an easy-to-use stick and is hand mixable
- Dries to a tan color, ideal for light-toned wood repairs
- Cures within an hour and is then ready for sanding and painting
- Small package ensures little waste
- Many users claim it set up within minutes, so you need to work fast
Why Trust Homedit Reviews
Established in 2008, Homedit delivers unbiased home improvement advice, shopping considerations, and product reviews. Our writer, Katie Barton, has more than ten years of experience in home improvement writing, including product reviews. Her goal is to find the best products for the job and takes into consideration the efficacy of products, price, user reviewers, and ease of use. For this article, she reviewed over a dozen of the best epoxy wood fillers before selecting the top five to make this list.
The post 5 Best Epoxy Wood Fillers for Voids and Rotting Wood appeared first on Homedit.